ACCS Job Opening
July 20, 2020
Alabama Community College System
Position Title: President
FLSA (exemption): Exempt
The President is the chief administrative officer of the college and reports directly to the Chancellor of the Alabama Community College System. The President is responsible for administering and supervising the total college program in the assigned college. As chief executive officer, the President must delegate authority and yet retain final responsibility for the effective operation of the college.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Follow established policies and procedures of the Alabama Community College System Board of Trustees and the Chancellor.
- Follow established channels in relating the affairs of the college to the Chancellor and the Alabama Community College System Board of Trustees.
- Represent the needs of the college at the state and national levels by attending Presidents’ meetings, serving on special interest committees, and attending regional and national meetings as appropriate.
- Appoint all faculty and staff of the institution in prescribed procedures, assign their duties and responsibilities, and ensure periodic evaluation.
- Report data and information in a timely and accurate manner to the Alabama Community College System Office.
- Manage the fiscal affairs of the college efficiently and economically.
- Interpret the mission of the college to local business, industry, and civic interests.
- Involve the community in planning programs and services to be offered at the college.
- 9Promote the maximum utilization of the college’s facilities and resources to the benefit of the community.
- Promote the articulation of the college’s programs with secondary and other postsecondary institutions.
- Secure, as appropriate, governmental and other outside funding for the college projects.
- Conduct appropriate fund raising activities.
- Provide leadership for maintaining quality educational programs.
- Create an atmosphere conducive to high faculty, staff, and student morale.
- Effectively delegate responsibility and authority to appropriate administrative officers.
- Maintain open channels of communication with faculty, staff, and students.
- Direct long-range planning activities which include input from the faculty, staff, and students.
- Support continuous professional development activities of faculty and staff.
- Develop annual and long-range goals for the college.
- Provide effective leadership and management for the overall direction of the institution
- Earned master’s degree is required. Earned doctorate from a regionally accredited college or university is desired.
- A background of high-level administrative experience with a minimum of five years of senior-level, full-time administrative experience in an applicable institution, government agency or industry is required.
- Knowledge of the mission and role of public two-year institutions, particularly their important role in community economic development and workforce development is required.
- Experience in interpreting organizational needs, programs, and activities to the employees, community organizations and agencies, area school systems, the Legislature, and providing services training for business and industry is required.
- Committed to the community college concept of quality education.
- Committed to the professional development of faculty and staff.
- Student-oriented in the sense of recognizing that all aspects of the college are to facilitate learning and student development, with the student obtaining a level of competencies and the student being kept informed of progress.
- Committed to the offering of programs that are relevant to the current needs of business and industry.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the academic transfer programs and evidence of ability to work with the four-year institutions.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the technical programs and evidence of ability to work with the business and industry.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to all facets of the community, including the needs of the various groups of which it is comprised.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate well, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team member, which includes all segments of the college faculty, staff, students, and governing boards.
- Demonstrated leadership, decision-making, and coordinating abilities in a complex organization.
- Demonstrated ability to project a positive public image.
NOTE: The job description covers the general areas in which a President is expected to perform. The specific duties and responsibilities as detailed in the Presidents’ evaluation procedures will be used to evaluate performance.
Shelton Presidential Brochure
Shelton State Appilcation Form