Providing an edge for high school students ...
The Dual Enrollment Program is operated under the guidelines of Alabama Community College System Board of Trustees Policy 801.03 which allows eligible high school students to earn both high school and college credit. College courses count toward high school graduation credits and the courses remain as a part of the student's regular transcript. When the student graduates from high school, college credits earned at LBWCC through this program are transferable to other public colleges and universities in Alabama through the State Transfer and Articulation Reporting System (STARS). The STARS web site is very informative regarding courses needed to complete one's major. The link to this site is located at the bottom of this page. Students planning to attend private or out-of-state colleges and universities should check with those admissions offices to determine their policies relative to dual enrollment and dual credit.
The following courses and high school equivalencies represent possible dual enrollment options. Three semester credit hours at the postsecondary level typically equal one credit (Carnegie unit) at the high school level in the same or related subject. Each participating school system has the final authority on equivalencies. The dual enrollment academic equivalencies form is linked in the text below.
Dual Enrollment Academic Equivalencies
Benefits of Dual Enrollment...
- Cost Savings - Tuition and fees at LBWCC are significantly less than those at four-year colleges.
- Simultaneous Credit - Earn academic credit for both high school graduation and a college degree.
- Educational Edge - Get a jump start on your college career while easing the transition from high school to college.
Are you eligible?
Eligible students must meet the following criteria:
- Be a high school sophomore, junior, or senior.
- Have a "B" average in completed high school courses.
- Complete an Application for Admission for Dual Enrollment for Dual Credit form, available from your high school counselor.
- Submit a Statement of Eligibility for Dual Enrollment for Dual Credit form, completed and signed by your high school counselor and parent/legal guardian.
- Submit your high school transcript and a photo ID.
- Complete registration form for dual enrollment class and pay tuition.