Do I Have What It Takes?
You should keep in mind that Distance Education courses are not for everyone. While Distance Education courses offer greater freedom in when and where they participate in the instruction, Distance Education courses require more self-discipline and involvement than the traditional campus-based courses. You must constantly be involved in the learning process. It requires dedication, motivation, and self-discipline. No one will remind you of deadlines. So the question now is how well Distance Education courses will fit your circumstances and lifestyle. It is important to remember that students who are self-directed and self-motivated in their learning and study habits tend to be the most successful in Distance Education classes.
Below is a list of other characteristics you will need to be a successful Distance Education student:
- You are an independent learner.
- You have specific days and times to work on your course work.
- You are organized.
- You budget your time well.
- You are willing to take responsibility for requesting help before you fall behind.
- You enjoy working independently.
- You are highly motivated.
Still not sure if Distance Education is right for you? Take the Distance Education Readiness Quiz to help you decide if you fit in one of the categories above.