Diesel and Heavy Equipment Mechanics
The diesel engine keeps our country running! It is the workhorse powering the nation's trucks, buses, ships, and locomotives. Diesel engines deliver more power and more durability than their gasoline-burning counterparts. If you like working with your hands and your brain, and have what it takes to keep our country's infrastructure running, then a career as a diesel technician is right for you!
- Basic Engines
- Preventive Maintenance
- D.O.T. Vehicle Inspection
- Equipment Safety/Mechanical Fundamentals
- Diesel and Gas Tune-up
- Industrial and Agricultural Equipment
- Heating, Air Conditioning, & Refrigeration Systems
- Heavy Vehicle Brakes
- Pneumatics and Hydraulics
- Electronic Engine Systems
- Heavy Vehicle Drive Trains
- Advanced Engines
- Fuel Systems
- Heavy Vehicle Steering and Suspension
- CDL License Test Preparation
- Electrical/Electronic Fundamentals
- Special Projects in Diesel Mechanics
General Education Requirements
- Introductory Technical English I
- Introductory Mathematics I
- Introductory Computer Skills II
- Oral Communication Skills
Total Credit Hours - 59
According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook, median annual wage for diesel service technicians was $46,360 in May 2017. The top 10 percent of earned more than $69,870.
Diesel mechanics may work for tractor dealers, trucking dealers, construction companies, private contractors or go into business for themselves. According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook, employment of diesel service technicians is expected to grow 9 percent through 2026. Certification by the National Institute of Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) is the recognized standard of achievement for diesel service technicians and mechanics.
According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook, employers prefer to hire graduates from formal training programs. LBWCC offers training in the latest nationally-recognized certifications.
The LBWCC Diesel program has an 88 percent job placement rate.
Click on the the link below to view the DEM Gainful Employment Disclosure
Diesel & Heavy Equipment Gainful Employment Disclosure