Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information
3/27/20, 1:05 p.m.
Per direction from the Alabama Community College System, remote instruction beginning on March 30, 2020 will continue the remainder of Spring Semester.
All Lurleen B. Wallace Community College campuses will be closed until further notice.
Continue to remain prepared for frequent updates from College officials.
The helpline for technical difficulties is still scheduled to open on March 29 from 4-6 PM.
Our goal is for every student to complete all coursework, and we are prepared to continue providing a quality education.
LBWCC will offer summer courses. Registration begins April 6. Admission applications may be completed online.
3/20/20, 12:20 p.m.
Message from Dr. Chris Cox
Per instructions from the Alabama Community College System, our traditional graduation ceremony scheduled for May 8, 2020 has been cancelled.
Students will still have the opportunity to complete coursework, with virtual instruction scheduled to begin on March 30. The helpline will be available beginning March 29.
Announcements will be made in the future regarding the recognition of students scheduled to graduate this semester.
LBWCC is committed to serving our students and will continue to provide you with a quality education.
3/15/20, 9:00 p.m.
Out of concern for our students’ and employees’ safety and well-being, and in accordance with directives from the Office of the Governor and the Alabama Community College System, LBWCC is cancelling classes for the week of March 16 through March 20. Spring break will be observed March 23 through March 27. Alternative instruction will begin on March 30. Students should not return to campus until notified to do so.
The situation is rapidly evolving and procedural changes may be necessary as additional information becomes available. Students should be prepared for frequent updates from College officials and should follow the most recent guidance provided. Comprehensive information will be posted at https://www.lbwcc.edu/about-lbwcc/updates.
Faculty have developed plans for alternative instruction, which may include virtual coursework or other modes of delivery. Instructors will provide additional guidance to students in each course. Students should check their Saints email, Canvas, and the LBWCC website regularly for updated information.
All College-related student activities and on-campus events will be cancelled through the end of April. This applies to all College locations. If it is possible to reschedule events, information about updated days and times will be provided at a later date.
The College has taken steps to minimize the risk of transmission through enhanced cleaning and disinfecting procedures recommended by the Alabama Department of Public Health.
Saints Hall will remain open for students who cannot travel home. Residents should remain in close contact with Amanda Jernigan for further updates.
Students needing access to library or learning resources can access the “Library” page of the LBWCC website. The library has an extensive collection of online databases, as well as eBooks and Films on Demand. Click on the “Library Services” page to contact a librarian via email.
Infobase, an educational solutions company providing digital reference content to school and library communities, has generously allowed Alabama Community College System students free access until April 30, 2020.There is a lot of great content in this resource. A link and login credentials are on the
- Saints Email: Students should check their email regularly for updates.
- Canvas: Course content will be posted on Canvas, LBWCC’s learning management system.
- Aviso: Counselors and success coaches may communicate with students through Aviso, LBWCC’s retention software.
- Directory: This page has contact information for all faculty, staff, and administrators. College employees will continue to work remotely and can be contacted via email until campuses reopen.
- MyLBWCC: Log in here to update your contact information with the College.
- Saints’ Alert: Update your contact information to ensure that you receive emergency notifications in a timely manner. The alert system is not connected to MyLBWCC, so contact information must be updated in both places.
- Distance Learning: Visit this page for online learning information and resources.
A help desk is being established for students experiencing difficulties with Canvas. At present, this line will be staffed by Mary Ann Hudson and will be available from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., March 29 through April 2. Please call 334-804-4551 for assistance.
Prevention Measures (based on CDC guidance)
- Wash your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds.
- Use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Put distance between yourself and others.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Coronavirus
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Prevention
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Clean & Disinfect
Alabama Department of Public Health, News Releases
Alabama Department of Public Health, Infectious Diseases & Outbreaks
Alabama Community College System, Coronavirus Updates