Page Content - Left Column
Safety & Security
Lurleen B. Wallace Community College places the highest priority on the safety and security of its students, employees, and others on college property. Fortunately, LBWCC is a very safe college community. However, it is wise to use the same care and caution with yourself and your property that you would in any public place. By not placing yourself or your property in a vulnerable situation, you can avoid becoming a victim of a crime.
QUICK SAFETY TIPS
You can help keep our campuses safe by following the tips below:
IN THE EVENT YOU NEED IMMEDIATE EMERGENCY HELP, DIAL 911. IF USING A CAMPUS PHONE, DIAL 9-911.
||General Safety Guidelines
- Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid isolated areas.
- Try to avoid walking alone at night. Walk with friends when possible.
- Notify campus personnel of suspicious or criminal activity.
- If an emergency arises – a serious health issue or injury, a crime, or any situation in which you feel endangered, immediately contact campus personnel and call 911.
If Walking Alone
- Stay alert.
- Keep your mind on your surroundings, who’s in front of you and who’s behind you. Don’t get distracted.
- Walk purposefully, stand tall, and make eye contact with people around you.
- TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS - If you feel uncomfortable in a situation, get away.
Secure Your Vehicle
- Never leave your vehicle running while it is unattended.
- Lock your doors.
- Roll up the windows completely.
- Take your keys and never hide a spare in or on the vehicle.
- Keep out of sight all valuables and packages that may tempt a thief.
- Use auto theft deterrents such as car alarms and steering column devices.
- Do not leave laptops, smart phones or tablets unattended.
- Record the serial number of your computer/electronic equipment.
- Use anchor security devices to lock personal computers.
In Case of Fire
- Learn the locations of the emergency exits.
- Activate the fire alarm if you detect a fire in a building.
- Always exit the building in the event of a fire alarm.
- Exit by the nearest stairway. Do NOT use elevators.
- Call 911 and notify campus personnel immediately.
Page Content - Right Column