May 2015

College Wide Meeting

Student Center Classrom/Upward Bound Program/Andalusia

Home - Student Services - Financial Aid - Veterans Benefits


Veteran’s Affairs – General Information

The Lurleen B. Wallace Office of Veteran's Affairs/Financial Aid Office:

-Processes veteran education benefit applications, changes, and terminations.

-Verifies course enrollment.

-Coordinates course of study with Academic Advisors.

- Maintains student records.

Alabama State G.I. Dependents' Scholarship Program

Alabama State Disabled Veteran Dependent Scholarship Program also called the Alabama State G.I. Dependents’ Scholarship Program or Alabama GI Bill. A student may be eligible to receive the G.I. Dependents Scholarship if the student is a dependent of a disabled Alabama Veteran.  A student must apply with the  State of Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs to determine eligibility.  The State of Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs will issue a Certificate of Eligibility to the education institution requested at the time of application.  If a student changes their program of study or institution of choice they must complete a S-5 form and submit it to the Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs for a new certificate.

Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs
P. O. Box 1509 
Montgomery, AL 36102-1509.
Phone: 334-242-5077

For additional information please visit their website at: then click on Scholarship Programs.  You may also contact your the Veterans Service Office in your county.  

Federal Department of Veteran's Affairs

The Federal Department of Veteran's Affairs determines eligibility and maintains veteran records in electronic format.

Contact Information:
Montgomery Regional Office: 1-800-827-1000
Muskogee Regional Office: 1-888-442-4551 - VA National Phone Center

VA's GI Bill Web Site:

US Department of Veterans Affairs
Web Site:

Responsibilities of the LBWCC Student Veteran

The LBWCC student veteran must: 
 - Report any change in enrollment status to the LBWCC Veteran's Affairs Office.
 - Coordinate their course enrollment with their respective Academic Advisors.
Application Process.  

To apply for Chapter 30, 33, 35, 1606 or 1607 VA Benefits you should visit the ebenefits website. 
Please click on the appropriate chapter for the required documentation that must be received by the VA Certifying Official. 

Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 33
Chapter 33 Transfer of Entitlement
Chapter 35
Chapter 1606
Chapter 1607

Enrollment Certification will be completed by the VA Certifying Official as follows:

All Veteran's GI Bill Benefits will be certified by term.  It is the student's responsibility to contact the VA Certifying Official and request certification at the beginning of each term.  If a student fails to contact the VA Certifying Official at the beginning of each term, this will delay the processing of the students monthly check by the VA.  If the student changes their enrollment, the student should notify the VA Certifying Official immediately so their enrollment status can be amended with the VA.  The VA Certifying Official will check the enrollment status of each student monthly and report changes accordingly.  

Other Resources

Tuition Assistance Program - visit

As of October 1, 2011, all active duty Army, Army National Guard, and the Selective Reserve members must apply for their tuition assistance benefit through he Go Army Ed website.  Go Army Ed has created two videos to help you with applying for Army Education Tuition Assistance program.  You may view this videos by clicking on either one of the following links: GoArmyEd Class Enrollment or GoArmyEd Program and Class Enrollment

America's Debt Help Organization helps veteran students become aware of what options are available for them through the federal government and what programs the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) has to help active duty service members and veterans.  They also provide information and services to military personnel and their families.  Below is a list of web pages that may be helpful to you.

Credit Card Insider is a responsible Credit Resource for Veterans.  They provide resources to veterans that assist them with managing their personal finances.  You may visit there website at

Lurleen B. Wallace Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges or SACSCOC to award the Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, Associate in Applied Science degrees and certificates. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Lurleen B. Wallace Community College.