Finding books in the LBWCC Library
Login into the LBWCC Online Library Catalog at
to find books on your research topic.
Finding a book on a specific topic:
· Think of some keywords (important words describing your topic)
· Type your best keyword(s) into the search box.
· For example, if your topic is “the effects of television violence on children,”
o type in: television violence children
· The results list will display the location, call number, and check-out status of each item.
Finding a book when you know the title or author:
· Click on “Advanced Search” next to your search box, to pull up the menu of other search options.
· From the menu list under “1”, select either “Title” or “Author” under the “All Headings” drop down box
· Type the title of the book, or the author’s name (last name first).
· If there is one match for your search, you will go straight to it. If there is more than one match, you will see a list of results.
· Click on each title to see the location, call number, and check-out status.
Evaluating your results:
· Look closely at the title for clues to what the book is about.
· Click on the title to get more information about the book. You will see the book’s “Subjects.” The table of contents may also be included.
· Be choosy. A book could contain all your keywords but still not be useful!
· If you get no results or too few results:
o Check your spelling.
o Avoid typing long phrases or questions. Use only the most important words.
o Choose different keywords for your search. Think of related terms or synonyms.
o For example, if your search was: Climate change
o Try this instead: Global warming
· If you find at least one useful book, click on the title of the book to get the complete record. Click on the links in the “Subject” section to find other books on that same subject.
Locating a copy of the book on the shelves:
· Look for the “Location,” “Call Number,” and “Status” of the book.
· If the “Status” is “Checked Out,” then someone else already has it. You can look at the due date to see when it should come back.
· If the book is available, write down the “Call No.” and the location.
· Books are shelved alpha-numerically, by call number. Start with the letters, then work through the numbers, in sequence, until you find the book. The first number in the sequence is always a whole number; for example,
look for HD 4605 in the HD four thousands, not the four hundreds or the forties.
· Take the book to the Circulation Desk to check it out. You will need your LBWCC Student ID card.
If you have any questions, please ask for assistance or call 881-2266.
Adapted from a document created by the PFAU Library at California State University, San Bernardino