May 2015

College Wide Meeting

Student Center Classrom/Upward Bound Program/Andalusia

Home - Financial Aid - Federal Financial Aid - Federal Programs

Federal Pell Grant

Federal Pell Grant awards are based on financial need as determined by the Federal Student Aid Programs. A student may apply for Federal Pell Grant by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at

A student must apply for Federal Pell Grant each award year. This should be done as soon as federal taxes have been filed each year and may be filed as early as January 1. Award amounts vary depending on student’s eligibility. 

If a student has applied for Federal Financial Aid, the Institutional Student Information Record (ISIR) from the Department of Education, along with any verification documents required from the student and all transcripts, must be received by the Financial Aid Office by the published priority date each term in order to apply financial aid by the deadline date for tuition and fee payment.   If the required information is not received by the financial aid office, the student will be required to pay all tuition and fees.   Any student who has not paid by this time will be purged from classes and will no longer be eligible to attend.

In order for a student to receive the full Pell Grant award calculated, the student must attend all classes. Attendance will be verified by the instructors each term before financial aid refunds checks will be mailed.  If the student does not attend all classes, the award will be recalculated based on the lower enrollment status. Attendance will be verified at the beginning of each semester.

Return in Compliance with Federal Regulations

Lurleen B. Wallace Community College shall comply with federal regulations relative to return of tuition and other institutional charges for all Title IV recipients. The Federal Return of Title IV Funds Policy is to be used for a Title IV student who completely withdraws from all classes. The policy shall also be applied to those students who cease attendance in all classes but who do not officially withdraw or are administratively withdrawn by their instructor(s).  

The Return of the Title IV funds is based on a formula, which determines the percentage of earned aid by calculating the amount of time the student has completed for a term. The percentage completed is calculated as days attended in the period (based on the withdrawal date) divided by the total days in the term. If the percentage completed exceeds 60%, the student has earned 100 % of his/her Title IV aid. If the percentage completed is 60 % or less, this percentage is applied to the total Title IV aid awarded to the student for the term and could result in the student having to repay Title IV funds. The return of funds calculation shall be based on the midpoint of the term for students who do not officially withdraw.  

Students subject to the Federal Return of Title IV Funds Policy continue to be responsible for payment of tuition and fees in accordance with the State Refund Policy. Students who do not return unearned Title IV funds will be ineligible for Title IV Funds at any institution.



Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

FSEOG is a grant and repayment is not required. To qualify, a student must have exceptional financial need. A student must be enrolled, be in good standing, and must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid to establish eligibility. Priority is given to Federal Pell Grant recipients. Funds are limited.  FSEOG is subject to the same Return of Title IV Requirements as Federal Pell grant.


Federal Work-Study (FWS)

The Federal Work-Study Program provides part-time jobs for students who have financial need. Students work in a variety of offices and departments with their work schedules built around their academic schedules. To qualify, a student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, available from the Financial Aid Office. Students earn minimum wages, payable once per month. These funds are limited and available on a first-come first-serve basis.


Alabama Student Assistance Program (ASAP)

 To be eligible for these funds, a student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. The student must be an Alabama resident and have established financial need. These funds are limited and available on a first-come, first-serve basis.


LBWCC complies with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. If you have a disability that might require special materials, services, or assistance or if you have nay questions please contact Latrece Hall at 334-8812271 for the Andalusia Campus, Tori Jones  at ext. 334-382-2133 ext. 3111 for the Greenville Campus, Mr. Jason Cain at 334-493-5363 for the MacArthur Campus or Laura Elliott at (334) 335-2817 for the Luverne Center.  

It is the official policy of the Alabama State Board of Education and LBWCC, a postsecondary institution under its control, that no person shall, on the grounds of race, color, disability, sex, religion, creed, national origin, or age, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program, activity, or employment.



Lurleen B. Wallace Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges or SACSCOC to award the Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, Associate in Applied Science degrees and certificates. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Lurleen B. Wallace Community College.