Information You Need To Know
Before you can access your on-line course at Lurleen B. Wallace Community College, you must be registered for the course and the Information Technology Department will have to enroll you in your Canvas Section. No student can access their course in Canvas without first being enrolled. The following information will allow you to determine when you can enter your course.
All tuition and fees must be paid prior to the first day of class. Once you register and pay for your course(s), you should then have access to your course within 24 to 48 hours. If students register for a course during the drop/add period, you should go to business office and take care of any additional charges and you should have access to the course the following day.
Once you gain access to your course in Canvas, you should follow the steps below under Accessing Your On-Line Course.
What course materials will I need to take an internet course?
In general, the following items will/may be needed for your course:
You will need a copy of the current textbook being used by your instructor for your class.
You will need to purchase the ancillary items that may be required by your instructor (e.g., study guides, notes, etc.). These items should be listed on your syllabus for the course.
If your course requires an access code(referred to as a PIN code), then it will either be included with your textbook if you purchase it new or you will have to purchase it from the bookstore.
Accessing Your On-Line Course
1. Click the Canvas icon on the LBWCC website Home page or click Canvas Login
and it will take you to the Canvas login page.
2. Next, enter your username. Your username will be the first letter of your first name, followed by your last name and the last four digits of your Social Security number. This will all be one word, and all lowercase
(15 character maximum)
3. The password will be the same as the username that you entered above.
Example: James King Social Security number: 403-19-4116
4. Once you enter the course, if you like, you can change your password. Go to the settings tab, click the Edit Settings tab and change the password. This is not required since your password is already unique.
5. At this point, click on the "courses" tab and the course(s) that you are registered for will be listed below. Simply click on the title of your course and you will be taken to the homepage for your course.
6. Once at the homepage, you should hover over the icon at the top right of the screen called "settings". Then click Add Email Address. Next, enter a valid email address and click register. This will be your default email address for the course.
7. Now click the notifications icon on the left hand side of screen. It is imperative that you set your notifications. This will determine when and how quickly you get notified of different things like announcements, exams, etc..
8. Now, let's click on the icon on the top right called 'Inbox". This is the conversation icon where you can talk to other students and your instructor. Please click on the icon that looks like a square with a pencil. This is the icon to write a message. Now, on the right hand side inside the "To " address, click on the picture to browse for the class and then the person. Select the class first. Then select the Teacher. Now send an email to your teacher.
9. Compose a message to your instructor letting him/her know that you have successfully made it into the course, giving the city and state from where you are working, and then press the send button in the lower left-hand corner of the screen.
10. Your instructor will then send you an email message welcoming you to the course and instructing you as to what to do in his /her course.
11. If you are unable to access your course, please email your instructor for help.